Chicago may be well-known for their intermodal transportation, but the Midwest Inland Port (MIP) offers an alternative to Chicago’s extreme congestion, extended wait times, and costly tolls and other expenses, making it a better way to the Midwest. The MIP is a multi-modal transportation hub located in Decatur, Illinois that delivers international flexibility for companies through a well-positioned transportation corridor, connecting the Midwest to the East, West and Gulf Coasts of North America.
Some of the benefits include:
- Intermodal ramp with 25-minute average turn times with direct access to Three Class I Railroads (CN, Norfolk Southern, CSX) connecting to all North American rail networks
- A diverse community of importers and exporters in the area creates opportunities for intermodal container match-back shipments
- Non-congested, toll-free access to one of the country’s heaviest trucking and railway traffic flows
- A quick channel to coastal and export markets
- Possible reduced supply chain logistics costs
- Third Party Logistics providers offering freight forwarding, transloading, warehousing, stock management, temperature-controlled storage and more
- An abundance of competitively priced labor and an available workforce
- An airport equipped with a U.S. Customs Office, a Fixed-Based Operator (FBO) and runways measuring 8,400’ long and 150’ wide to handle large aircrafts
Don’t just take our word for it. Click the link below to see what American Shipper says about Decatur, Illinois’ Midwest Inland Port.
The MIP area has local access to 33 million people within a 250-mile radius, including the cities of Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and the outskirts of Milwaukee. The population within this MIP region is projected to grow over 3.8% in the next five years.
Additionally, the MIP has a regional advantage with access to more than 95 million consumers within a 500-mile radius, which is greater reach than Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City. The population within the MIP region is projected to grow over 3.4% in the next five years.
Economic Development Corporation of Decatur & Macon County
101 S. Main St
Decatur, IL 62523
Please fill out our request for information form below and we will respond to you shortly.